Professor of New Testament
Professor of New Testament B.A. (Brock University, 1983) M.Div. (Calvin Theological Seminary, 1986) Th.M. (Calvin Theological Seminary, 1987) Ph.D. (Wycliffe College, University of Toronto, 1992)
Dr. Jeffrey Weima is Professor of New Testament at Calvin Theological Seminary, where he has taught for the past 25 years. He is a sought-after speaker who is able to communicate well the truths of the Bible in an interesting, contemporary and practical manner. Jeff has published five books (Neglected Endings: The Significance of the Pauline Letter Closings ; An Annotated Bibliography of 1 and 2 Thessalonians ; 1 & 2 Thessalonians ), recently completing a major commentary on 1 and 2 Thessalonians (Baker Books: 2014). His fifth and latest book, Paul the Ancient Letter Writer: An Introduction to Epistolary Analysis, appeared in the fall of this year (Baker Books: 2016). Jeff is also the author of numerous scholarly articles, academic essays and book reviews. He has taught courses all over the world: Hungary, Greece, Italy, South Korea, Kenya, Taiwan, The Philippines, and South Africa. Jeff is an active member of several academic societies, lectures overseas, leads biblical study tours to Greece, Turkey, Israel/Jordan, and Italy, conducts intensive preaching seminars for pastors, and preaches widely in the Christian Reformed Church as well as many other churches in both the USA and Canada. Jeff and his wife, Bernice, have been married for 33 years. They have four children and five very cute grandkids.
Dr. Weima is especially gifted in taking complex biblical subjects and not only presenting them in a clear, understandable and even entertaining way but also spelling out the practical implications of these matters for believers today. Consequently, he is frequently asked to serve as a keynote speaker for various organizations or to give inspirational addresses to a variety of audiences. He also often speaks to adult education classes on a variety of biblical subjects such as the following:
- How To Read the Bible For All Its Worth
- From Patmos to Paradise: The Seven Sermons to the Seven Churches of Rev 2-3
- Left Behind: Why Reformed Folks Should Leave These Books Behind
- The Rapture: A Biblical Truth or Mistaken Idea?
- Sex, Second Coming & Sanctification: 1 Thessalonians & Its Message for the Church Today
- Paul: Missionary & Letter Writer
- Neglected Letters of the New Testament (Philemon, Jude, 2 John)
- 1 Corinthians and Its Message for the Church Today
- 1 Corinthians 11:17-34: What Does It Mean for Children at the Lord's Supper?
- Same-Sex Activity: What does the New Testament Say?