Anyone seeking to apply for the Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, Master of Theological Studies, or Master of Theology degree programs should complete this application. Once you create an account, you may save the application as you work. The application deadline for fall enrollment is June 1; however, those seeking Financial Aid should apply by March 1. The application deadline for spring enrollment is November 15.
1. Completed application form and $50 application fee
- Recommendations: Please be prepared with the names and contact information of four references that can comment on your spiritual maturity, writing proficiency, speech proficiency, and character. After you submit your application, your references will be emailed electronic recommendation forms to complete. (ThM applicants must have 2 recommendations from faculty.) Please note: We ask that none of your references be family members or spouses.
- Essays: The application includes two brief essays: an autobiography and a statement of Christian commitment.
- Financial Aid Information: (Optional) A financial aid section is included in the online application. This section is mandatory only if you would like to apply for Calvin Seminary Financial Aid and Scholarships. Please be prepared with your previous year’s adjusted gross income, the value of your investments, the balance of your monetary accounts, the balance of any loans and/or credit cards, and information on any sponsors who may be helping to fund your education. You will find your previous year’s adjusted gross income on your most recent tax return.
- Payment: Please be prepared to pay $50 USD by credit or debit card when completing the application. This is a non-refundable processing fee. The application cannot be submitted without payment.
Start or continue an application
2. Official transcripts
Applicants must request official transcripts from all prior colleges, universities, seminaries, and/or professional schools. An official transcript is a sealed copy sent directly from the institution. Please have your transcripts sent to:
Calvin Theological Seminary
3233 Burton St. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
3. TOEFL or IELTS score (non-native English speakers only)
- TOEFL: a minimum internet-based score of 80 total with 23 in the writing section is required (use institutional code 1096 to order scores)
- IELTS: a minimum test score of 6.5 total with 6.5 in the writing section is required (order scores through testing location, no institutional code needed)
4. Recent photograph
Having a photograph of our applicants helps us to put a face on the forms we are receiving. Please email a recent photograph of yourself to email@example.com and include your name in the subject line .
5. Additional requirements (ThM Applicants only)
- All applicants must show transcript evidence of at least two semesters each in Hebrew and Greek
- Applicants with concentrations in Old or New Testament must pass a language proficiency exam in the applicable language
- Applicants with a concentration in Preaching must have a verbal interview with the Director of Admissions
Calvin Theological Seminary is dedicated to God’s church and its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic expression. Calvin Seminary does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, marital status, or national origin and gathers such information on this application form for statistical purposes only.
After You Apply
The Admissions Office at Calvin Theological Seminary will maintain your file until all documents and fees have been received. You may check your application status anytime online, and we will provide frequent updates as well. You may contact us at any time to ask about your file. Upon completion you will ordinarily be informed of an admission decision within 10 business days.
After you’ve submitted your online application, you are encouraged to fill out a Housing Application if you are applying for a residential program and are interested in living in Seminary housing. You will only be considered for Seminary housing if you are admitted to a degree program. The deadline to apply for housing for the fall semester is April 1.